XLH 883 to 1200 Upgrade
by Rick 'Rickko' Eliopoulos
Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner Kit
Factory Maintenance Manual
Andrews N2 Cams
44, 170, 175 jets (spares)
Top end gasket kit
SE Spark Plug wires
YOST Power Tube
Wiseco 1200 9.5:1 pistons
Cam cover gasket
Valve seal set (4)
Cylinder dowels (4)
Port heads, valves & seats
Bore & hone cylinders
Crane 155# valve springs
Head & Base gasket kit (.027)
Lower pushrod tube seals (4)
Exhaust gaskets (2)
Tappet guide pin o-rings (4)
V&H SS2R Racing Exhaust
SE 1200 Ignition Module
ADDITIONAL MISC. PARTS & SUPPLIES USED
12 pt 1/2" socket & 1/2" driver
5/16"- 1/4" Drive socket
Sealed Battery (275 CCA)
Oil Filter, Magnetic RevTech
Oil, 1 gal. H-D 20-50 wt.
* This was the mfg. suggested retail price at the time I ordered the part.
** This is what was paid. State tax (7.75%) was added. When its lower than
MSRP, either a discount was received, or didn't pay tax or both.
All parts were purchased between Jan. 1st, 1998 and April 18th, 1998.
| San Diego Harley-Davidson, San Diego CA., (619) 616-6999.|
|South Coast Harley-Davidson, Chula Vista CA., (619) 420-7000.|
|Clairemont Cycle, San Diego CA., (619) 571-0155. Ask for Jamie (the
|BBL Enterprises, Crosby MN. (218) 546-7757. Ask for Bob and tell him
Rickko referred you. (10% off on all major catalog . prices + free shipping
on orders over $100). I highly recommend them. They have a "No
Questions Asked Return Policy"|
|Bartel's Harley-Davidson Marina Del Rey CA. (800) 227-3534.|
|Tatro's Machine Shop, San Diego CA. (619) 298-9005. Ask for Keenan
References & Credits
The following books, magazines and people assisted me in preparing for my
upgrade or helped me during it. My appreciation and gratitude is extended to all
of you. Thanks, I owe ya' a beer the next time we meet.
- 1993 & 1994 XLH Models Harley-Davidson Service Manual, Part
- Harley-Davidson Sportster Performance Handbook, Buzz Buzzelli, 1998
- The V-Twin Tuner's Handbook, D. William Denish, Crystal Pubs. (800)
- S & S Catalog - "Proper Engine Break-in"
- Hot XL Magazine, Issue #1, 1996, "Yes You Cam", Pages 50,51
- Hot XL Magazine, Issue #1, 1996, "883 to 1200 Conversion, Pages
- Hot XL Magazine, Winter 1998, "Installing a Yost Power Tube"
- Hot Rod Bikes Magazine, Mar. 1998, "Sportster 883 Project Bike;
Part I: Bolt-on Power
- Hot Rod Bikes Magazine, Apr. 1998, "Sportster 883 Project Bike;
Part I: More Cubic Inches
- Hot Rod Bikes Magazine, May. 1998, "Sportster 883 Project Bike;
Part I: New Bolt-in Cams
- Thunder Press Magazine, Feb. 1998, Motorhead Memo, p. 28,29,
"Building a Hyper-Sportster"
- Thunder Press Magazine, Apr. 1998, Motorhead Memo, p. 28,29,
- The Harley Tax, , Article by L. Maurice Riggins. Posted to the
- Re-jetting , Article by L. Maurice Riggins. Posted to the XL-Digest.
- Setting Idle Mixture & Speed, Article by L. Maurice Riggins.
Posted to the XL-Digest
- Phil 'Zoom' Rushing, Helped cc the heads & pistons. Helped me install
the pistons into the cylinders the first time. And generally harassed me
while drinking my beer.
- Ike Crouch, Helped rotate my rear wheel while I aligned the cams and drank
- Al Mativi, San Diego, Advised me on using stronger 155-lb. Crane springs
and various other steps of the rebuild
- Keenan Tatro, Tatro Machine Shop, San Diego, 619 298-9005, Did all the
head, valve and cylinder work
- Maurice Riggins, Advice on many aspects of the rebuild and corroboration
on determining compression ratio
- Iron Mike of Portland Oregon, Advised me on piston/cylinder assembly
- Todd -Cast Iron Customs- Advised me on many aspects of the rebuild. His
emails were very helpful
- Scott Koplin, Advised me on forged vs. cast pistons and break-in miles.
- Steve Brantley, Advised me on 2-1 exhaust systems.
Since writing this page of references, Kip Woodring has come out with an
excellent book on EVO projects with timesaving tips and fantastic photography.
Its called 101 Harley-Davidson Performance Projects : For Evolution Big Twins
and Sportsters***. I highly recommend you read it before beginning your rebuild,
or ANY project for that matter. Included in it is an entire section on all the
tools youll ever need to work your scoot. Its very well done.